[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Seeking assistance for first Polish record search - Helwig from Wolschebuden, Lipno vicinity

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun May 3 06:59:06 PDT 2009

Daryl,

Wolschebuden is indeed the German name for Makowiska.  It is located
about 12 km NW of Lipno.  The border with Prussia was another 20 km or
so to the NW along the same road.

You can find translation aids for both post 1867 Russian Cyrillic
records and pre 1867 Polish records on our Translation Helps page under
the Research tab of the website menu.  Once you understand the
relatively standardized format of the Napoleonic paragraph records, you
will catch on fairly quickly.  Bad handwriting will give you more
problems than the language barrier.

I assume by Rybit you are referring to what we have in our database as
Rybitwy.  It is right on the Wisla (Vistula) River, some 17 km WSW of
Lipno.  Bobrowniki is just a little further south on the same side of
the river.  Nieszawa is a larger town and parish centre on the other
side of the Wisla.  If any of your records are there, you will have more
problems than with Lipno as some are missing.

A complete list of available microfilmed records for Lipno and Nieszawa
can be found at http://sggee.org/church_parishes/LutheransInRusPoland.html

Jerry Frank
Calgary, AB