[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Anyone on the list had any DNA testing done

Lorne Bohn lbohn at shaw.ca
Sun May 3 07:09:54 PDT 2009

There are a number of groups/organizations which offer this testing.  I
believe the original group was the National Geographic Society.  They have
an excellent explanation of how to use it and what it means at:
https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/index.html  In most
cases testing is offered for either the paternal or the maternal side of the
family.  The beginning kits look for common markers, usually 12.  With these
kits the only results which are useful are those which come back 12 for 12.
Other kits are offered which look for more markers and of course are more
expensive.

In my experience, these beginning kits ( 12/12 ) are still quite useful in
general terms.  It is very interesting to look at general migration patterns
of large groups of people from an anthropological perspective.  As people
interested in genealogy, we are mainly interested in looking for specific
names which we can link to which is of course in more recent history.
Remember that DNA testing is a tool just like any of the other things we use
in our research which helps to give us a bigger picture in our research.
Don't be disappointed if you don't turn up a perfect DNA match with someone
with the same name as your own or even if you can't find common ancestral
links with people who have the same number of DNA matches as you have.

This a link to the PolanGenWeb site which deals with DNA groups specific to
the area we are interested in.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/polandgen.html

Another interesting site is the German DNA project which may also be of
interest to you:
http://www.german-dna.net/

I hope this helps.

Best regrads to the forum,