[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kaminski /Steinke / Stein

albertmuth at aol.com albertmuth at aol.com
Sun May 3 10:11:14 PDT 2009

To this I will add that while, yes we can see that stone = stone (Kaminski = Stein),
keep in mind that the Polish surname may only translate a part of the

German surname.  Kaminski is also commonly used in records

for ethnic German individuals whose names are Steinke, Doberstein,

and Koberstein.  How do you know which one it is?  You don't,

at least until you can see the same family group later on, using

the German version of the surname.

Polish góra = German Berg (English 'mountain').  This has been

used for Falkenberg.

When I am transcribing records, I often keep a German dictionary and

a book on Polish surnames at hand.  Eventually, you do start

remembering certain equivalences.  Like when learning a foreign

language, by the time you have looked up a word for the umpteenth

time, you tend to remember it. (and scold yourself for being lazy

and alzheimerish)

Al Muth