[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] DNA testing

Joan forsoftsong at yahoo.com
Sun May 3 11:28:40 PDT 2009

I had my maternal DNA tested with the Sorenson project.  My mother's mother was pure Polish, so my maternal results are quite different than most of you.

  However, while some Poles are the same haplogroup as I am, it is not the typical Polish MtDNA.   I am U5. The oldest haplogroup in Europe, and most common in Finland among the Sami Reindeer people. In other words, just as we say in America, Native Americans, my maternal DNA is Native European. It is considered to be the first human MtDNA into Europe. Any older and it would be Neanderthal! That was a real surprise!

  Since I am an only child, and my deceased father was an only child, I have no way to get my own paternal DNA done.  (Especially since I believe that my father's Dad was born to a different father than the other children.  I've even searched for his baby hair that I thought I had at one time.

  So, to find out more about my ethnic Germans which I suspect may also have some Frisian or Dutch roots, I plan to contact a long-lost male cousin.  My Mom had a Polish mother, but an ethnic German father.  My Mom's brother is dead, but his sons are alive. That is who I need to contact and find out if one of them are interested in taking the paternal DNA test.

  I may also ask a female second cousin on my Dad's mother's side (also an ethnic German) to take the MtDNA test.  Then I will know something about the maternal and paternal side of my ethnic Germans.

  I am enjoying everyone's results.  I see someone has U4 in their results.  My family comes from near Rypin, as well.  And when I find out more about myself, I'll update.

  Joan

"I'm curious whether anyone on this list has had DNA testing done on themselves or their relatives.? And if so, what Haplo group they found their ancestors to be from.

Gail"

"My mtDNA results put me in Haplogroup U4 (16129A) (16356C) (16519C).? Maternal surnames of Rauch and Lau from Wola Mlocka, Poland and possibly Volhynia.? Any potential matches were all low resolution.

DNA testing on my brother (for our paternal line) resulted in Haplogroup R1b1b2 - earliest known ancestor (surname Erdman) from the Rypin area of Poland dating back to late 1700's.? There were many 12 Marker matches, some with higher resolution.? One in particular (surname Radtke) came from an area near Rypin and the location of that Radtke ancestor was listed as Vandsburg/Westpreussen - born 1785. ?My Erdman ancestors also have been noted as coming from Westpreussen.

The above tests were done through National Geographic's "Genographic Project" and were very basic.? Our family goal is to have additional and more precise testing done.

Sincerely,
Nadine Erdman Saiki"