[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Anyone on the list had any DNA testing done

Earl.Schultz Earl.Schultz at telusplanet.net
Sun May 3 11:14:57 PDT 2009

I've had both my y-DNA and mtDNA tested and also submitted my DNA to the
Sorenson Project.

My y-DNA (paternal) gives an I1a haplogroup which is Northern Europe and
Scandinavian, similar to the Vikings but a different branch.  My mtDNA
(maternal) gives a U5 (Ursula) haplogroup which is also Scandinavian.  I
have not found any close matches with others in the groups where I have
submitted my DNA results.

Interestingly, my genealogy research on my maternal line and several other
lines were pointing strongly to a Netherlands heritage.  My "German" names
such as Leichnitz, Baar, Kleps are more common in the Scandinavian countries
as Likeness, Barr and Klepsch.  Similarly my "Meister", Fagin, Fitsch are
variations of well known UK names Master, Fagin and Fitch.

With both lines pointing to Scandinavian ancestry, I am very keen to find
the link to that area and also to connect by DNA to others in the
Netherlands.  Many of my closest connections in the Sorenson database are UK
and Scandinavian though any connection much more than 10 generations ago.

Earl

Message: 2