[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] DNA testing

Greg Mason gmason001 at comcast.net
Sun May 3 17:06:01 PDT 2009

Gary:  You have raised a very important question and one about which I
can speak with a fair degree of positive personal experience.  For 30
years I  had a brick wall at the 3d great grandfather in my paternal
line.  About 5 years ago a distant cousin and I began some serious Y
DNA research (and establishment of a study group) which led to
breaking that brick wall and "confirming" what I had suspected for
many years.  My suspicions were based on circumstantial evidence;
fortunately, he had a solid paper trail back to a person whom
ultimately became our common 4th great grandfather.    With the
results of 67 marker Y DNA  testing, together with detailed historical
analysis of male children and siblings of that 4th great grandfather,
I am now able to assume my 3d great grandfather's identity with a 95%
assurance.  Now, a purist would argue that I still do not have a
"concrete evidence" which  "proves" my lineage.  I'll take my
circumstantial evidence, our lineage analysis, and the Y DNA 95%
assurance and stack it up against most of the results I have seen in
recent years that passes for "genealogical research."  My surname
lineage and this testing story do not relate to the SGGEE data bases,
(which are rather on my wife's lineage)  but I am responding to your
comment because I believe you have raised  an important point and one
that most researchers must ultimately  deal with as they make a
decision of whether or not to proceed with DNA testing, especially
YDNA.  I do share your concerns about the limited utility of mtDNA
testing, especially without the detailed paper trails.  Thanks for
raising this question.  Greg Mason