[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] DNA testing

Earl.Schultz Earl.Schultz at telusplanet.net
Tue May 5 12:41:24 PDT 2009

Gary & Greg and others,

Don't expect major progress with DNA testing but it is worthwhile doing.
Not enough people have submitted their DNA yet to make progess through the
many DNA study groups that are available.  If there are only 10K-15K people
in the study, don't expect much.  Some of the ones I belong to have less
than 100 people.  In 100 Schultzs around the world, it is not likely that
we'd be related.  However, not getting your DNA tested only delays the time
when this tool will be a much more valuable.

However, the real value comes when two people researching the same area and
the same name are tested as in Greg's example.  If you find someone
potentially descended from the same person or the same surname from the same
area then a DNA test for both people can be invaluable.  In my case, finding
someone from the Netherlands with a 10 generations ago match would be
striking gold for me because I am back 9 generations already.

The more people who get this done the more valuable it becomes.  If I didn't
know where my Schultz came from but could see DNA results for other Schultzs
in different areas of Europe, it could help point to the right area.

Just don't expect genealogical type results early on.  I've compared results
with several other cousins from my ancestral area and we are not closely
matched because y-DNA provides only the direct male line, Schultz for me,
and mtDNA provides only the direct maternal line (and because of names
changes each generation is very difficult to utilize).  My cousins are
related on other lines and not on these two lines.

And as for the value of DNA testing versus the hard genealogical records
that we collect and take as proof, it is only accurate if a) the females did
not stray from the marital bed and b) the documents were not falsified as is
the case for my grandmother who was adopted but all the church and state
records for her give her adopted parents, not her real parents.  I'll take
the 95% accuracy of DNA anytime.  With regard to my grandmother, a match on
my maternal DNA may be the only way for me to confirm my true ancestry.
Although I do know the family that she came from, I am unable to get any
proof other than circumstantial.

Earl

Message: 5