[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] DNA testing

Jutta Dennerlein Jutta.Dennerlein at t-online.de
Wed May 6 00:15:20 PDT 2009

Just to add another thought to the DNA testing discussion:

Since 2006 I get regular requests from companies who sell DNA tests.
They want to have their link or their banner placed on the
UpstreamVistula website. They also would appreciate an article about
DNA-Genealogy on my website - of course with their link on the same page.
For this 'affiliate program' they offer cash for each customer they get
through these links.
I think they contact each website which has keywords like Genealogy or
Ahnenforschung on it and it seems to be worth the effort, since there is
obviously a lot of money and a growing market connected with this.

Of course you will never find a link like this on www.UpstreamVistula.org .

My personal opinion to this issue is, that nobody 'owns' his DNA
information. It is something we get from our ancestors and we pass on to
our descendants. Everything we do with this information might affect our
descendants.
Publishing 'your' DNA information might prevent one of your
great-grandchildren to get a specific job because of some weaknesses in
the family DNA. Insurance companies will calculate risks to their
advantage using the family DNA information. They might even refuse to
pay if they find out, that you did not inform them about some additional
risks which you knew of, since you had your DNA tested.

Kind regards

Jutta Dennerlein

www.upstreamvistula.org