[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] On DNA testing

Otto otto at schienke.com
Wed May 6 07:37:12 PDT 2009

Good morning All,
i've been following the thread on DNA testing since it was introduced
about a week ago and detect a common fear and suspicion of a subject
not understood.  I liken it to fear of vulnerability some have of
undressing in the doctor's office. . . I say better there than with
undertaker's hands.

Legally, you own your DNA (code) the same as you own your body and
your life. That has always been an issue of international law, who
owns the body? You? or the State? In my country I own my body and have
laws to support my stand on the issue.

We today live in an "information driven society". Our bodies are a
vast library of information (code) resulting in laws to protect our
"medical information". The "owner of the body" has final say to
release of any information to a third party. (the same rule with DNA
code-be careful in what rights you sign away to your code)

DNA extraction is a deep scientific process and definitely not a
hobby. Basically all advances in the biomedical field are due to it.
(for example, the study of bacterial code to discover their
susceptibilities and weaknesses)

To genealogists DNA testing is yet another tool and not an "answer" to
our research.
(one must remember that "good research" generates "good questions"...
not good answers)
(those looking for immediate answers may be disappointed)
Like a sharp knife, one can slice bread, or cut a finger... skill
needs to be developed in using the tool.
Most testing for genealogical purposes are limited to the Y chromosome
for the male lineage and for the maternal lineage, the DNA of the
cellular mitochondria.  A brief example:  http://www.isogg.org/tree/index.html

DNA tests are no better or greater than the "chip" used by a company
for the info extraction process. (there can be errors) Chips known as
"electronic chemistry labs on a chip". A brief introduction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_microarray

A brief introduction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_DNA_test
(this should differentiate between STR's and SNP's)

Most testing is of the forensic type with STR's, a shallow "now" look
at identity.
Some companies divide testing into small individual tests resulting in
a nifty combined fee in the end.
(let the buyer beware)
A brief introduction: http://www.scientific.org/tutorials/articles/riley/riley.html
There exists a lot of competition, like the world of computers and
Internet in the '80's and 90's, on the part of genetic testing
companies to posture and position in the marketplace. It behooves one
to choose wisely. The few lines of information gleaned are usually
compared only to the in-house database of the testing company.

I personally opted for a deep SNP based test including ALL of the
chromosomes plus the mitochondria. This decision was not based on my
own volition but on the counsel of a well-known molecular
anthropologist. I needed the broad spectrum map to see where my
lineage originated. It gave me the insight regarding as "where to
look". The test was a "pointing finger." The $400. was well spent
considering the mountain of information gleaned. I was able to
download the personal genome (and can also choose to erase it from the
testing company database) and now analyze it using software
applications to reveal a wealth of medical information. (months of
endeavor) I am not limited to one company's database for comparison, I
can go global for comps. Subclades (subgroup indicators) to the main
haplogroup are being added daily in this growing science. (like
driving a porsche instead of riding a donkey)
A brief introduction: http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com/2007/06/20/what-do-the-results-of-a-deep-snp-test-mean/
http://www.isogg.org/tree/index.html

A haplogroup number is not the actual DNA code generating it.  (one
must choose to release the code generating the numbers)
I feel knowing "where to look" gives me a leg up on the challenge.
I own my DNA information and choose how much and to whom I release it.
Like money, one does not indiscriminately leave it laying around in
public places.

As one SGGEE researcher recently stated to me, "Very very cool!!!! You
knocked out years of research for me in one fell swoop. Chances are
we're related." (probably are, based on indicated location, stature,
and facial structure) My own reply to the testing was the same.

. . .   Otto
          " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 04, 2009-