[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] On DNA testing

Otto otto at schienke.com
Thu May 7 11:17:22 PDT 2009

Thanks Mike,
I'll flag your message for reference.

My E-letter to the group on DNA testing yesterday was basic, to say
the least, to keep focused on the essentials and expand later on each
topic if need be.
Understanding genetic genealogy in itself is not difficult. The
learning curve is involved with learning the language of the
discipline. With patience, progress can be a refreshing experience.

I should have included the following items yesterday since they are
useful to the researcher preparing to enter the field of "genetic
genealogy."

1. Yesterday I did not differentiate between "SNP haplogroups" and
"STR haplotypes", this downloadable PDF paper should suffice. To test
for STR's or SNP's is a decision based on desired results necessary in
the end. What results are you looking for from the test of your DNA is
the question to be asked. http://www.clanewing.org/DNA_Project/DNA_Articles/DNA_Articles/ForTheFlustered.pdf
(I would download the paper as a PDF file, one can never tell how long
it will be available on the Web)

2. One of the better resources on the Web is the following site,
suggested by my son, listing most of the companies and their blogs.
Even if you have not been tested, this site can clarify some of the
unknown to a beginner:
http://dna-forums.org/

On May 7, 2009, at 12:09 PM, MIKE MCHENRY wrote:

> The USA passed the Genetic Information Non Discrimination Act last
> year
> http://www.genome.gov/24519851
>

> MIKE

. . .   Otto
          " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 04, 2009-