[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] On DNA testing - THE NEAR FUTURE

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Thu May 7 12:11:31 PDT 2009

All of this discussion on DNA testing is great. Maybe I'm opening a new can of worms here but it is likely that in the next 10 years the type of testing you do for genealogical purposes will become rather obsolete. Technology continues to advance and they want to reach the point where a complete genome sequence can be done for $1000 and have the results in a matter of days or weeks. I only say this to let you know what is coming down the road and when this happens this will become the premiere method for doing genealogical testing. You will no longer be limited to mitochondrial or Y-chromosome markers. Literally any piece of DNA can be used to potentially link you to any other person with whom you may have a common ancestor if you can find a particular marker sequence to link to your line of interest.

The National Cancer Institute is pushing forward to develop high throughput genome  sequencing to study specific types of tumors. These efforts are helping to pave the way to make this affordable for the common person. Of course along with that you may find which diseases you are vulnerable to.

Karl

-