[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Can't find Janiskee ship lists

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Fri May 8 12:39:14 PDT 2009

Daryl,

When looking at any database, you need to keep your ideas of correct
spelling of a surname out of the search.   It is many times easier to
enter the given name of a passenger and include no surname, but instead
list the given name of someone that you know was traveling with the
first person.    Unusual first names are the best and easiest, since
names like Johann and Anna are going to give you way to many names to
look at.   If the given names are common, however, you may reduce the
number of returns by using only the first few letters of the surname in
the search.   Even here, you need to think hard about what letter
combinations might have been written down by the person taking the
information on the ship or at the port.  For instance, on one census, my
maternal grandmother, who maiden name is Sihl is shown with the name
Seel.   My wife also looked and looked for one of her Watson relatives,
and finally found him with the name Wotton in the census record.  And
there are plenty of worse examples than that in the records.

Gary Warner