[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Seeking Stalin-era gulag survivors

E. Adam ejadam at yahoo.com
Fri May 8 13:18:48 PDT 2009

Hello all: The message below arrived second-hand in my InBox. If anyone can help her with her research, please reply directly to her.

Edie Adam
Virginia, USA

Dear Pam:

Pardon the brief introduction. I am a college professor in Iowa researching an English-language documentary on GULAG survivors now in the United States. To date, I have interviewed a number of forced labor camp survivors from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, but am looking for survivors from the Stalin era when the GULAGs were at their largest. My interest in the subject arose during a Fulbright study program in Russia two years ago. Our itinerary include a visit to the Perm-36 Memorial.

During a recent presentation at Muskegon Community College, your organization (AHSGR) was suggested to me by a member of the Southwest Michigan chapter. Could you possibly put me in touch with any such survivors? Their stories need to be documented on video in English language while there are still survivors among us. As the years pass, there are fewer and fewer of them, as you know.

I am hoping that you will be able to provide some assistance. I would be most grateful.

Sincerely,

Gale Smetana
Assistant Professor
Communications Media