[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] storing genealogical information

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Wed May 13 09:16:37 PDT 2009

Rose-Marie,

Legacy not only has the ability to restore a backup, but it has a file
maintenance routine that will mostly, but not always, recover your file
from a crash.

Storing your data is not just making a backup of your data.   What
happens if the computer dies, or you have a fire.   You should always
have your data not only backed up on your computer, but also on a flash
drive that is always with you, or always somewhere that it there was a
fire, you would not lose it- like at your office.  You might also
consider sending a copy of your data on a regular basis to one of your
children and tell them to keep it safe, even if they are not interested
in genealogy- tell them if they lose that file, you may cut them off
from any inheritance!

You really do not need to print out your data on paper, because as soon
as you print it, it will be out of date, assuming that you are actively
updating your database.   That does not mean that you should not print
out a pedigree or share family group sheets with members of your family,
but putting it all in a book does not really do much for anyone,
especially since finding a particular family group sheet among several
thousand others can be a daunting task if you do not find it instead on
your computer.   I am not saying that you might not want to print out
all of your data if you are sharing a printed book with family members
who do not have computers, but that task is a large one if you have much
data, especially if you do not have a good genealogy program that will
index the printouts like a book.

I am not sure why you would want to try and transcribe your data into a
spreadsheet or a word processing program once you have it in GEDCOM
format inside a genealogy program.   The time it would take to do so and
keep it current would be large, and what would you gain?

You can of course share all of your pedigree, all of your family group
sheets, and ancestral and descendancy charts and books with anyone by
making Acrobat Reader (pdf) files of those documents.   That provides
the data to others electronically, and does not take the paper to do
so.   I am not sure that all genealogy programs allow you to make pdf
files of your data but Legacy does- it is an option on the print preview
screen.

Gary Warner
SGGEE