[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Two different people or the same person

Susie Lewis lewisinwaterloo at sympatico.ca
Sat May 16 08:22:35 PDT 2009

It amazes me how many times, back in those days, that two brothers married either two sisters or two girls with the same first name and further more to have both families with the same last name pregnant around the same time and then give their newborns the same first name.  They must have thought that this was amusing back then.
It is really confusing when individuals names are the same, birth dates are a week or so off, the parents don't 100% match but the grandparents are identical.   Was one parent using a first name in one record and a middle name on the other?  What about the date?  Calendar difference? Is it the same person?  It seems like a number of us have pondered this conundrum of finding an additional record and wondering if it is the same person or not.
In my case it turned out, I had two brothers who married two sisters in a double wedding (same wedding date) and then they got pregnant a week apart from each other and then gave their new born daughters the same first name.  Here though, it was fortunate that these two brothers and their families lived in two different towns but only a couple of minutes away from each other (different birth towns for the identically named newborns).  Further children where thankfully given different names.
I had another case where two brothers married two girls with totally different names but when one family had an infant die the other named their next new born after the child that had died, then the same thing happened again but in reverse.   It took a while to figure out who lived, who had died and who belonged to whom.
If anyone is pondering such a case it is good to know that these kind of things did happened a number of times in the 1800 & early 1900's in the Lublin area.
Even today 2009 in North America, I know a family of four boys, three of which married girls named Laurie! (but I must add that particular family descended from Germans from former Russian areas)  This kind of humor may be genetic.  :)