[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans drafted in Russian army

Jane Wilkens wilke013 at umn.edu
Sun May 17 20:07:37 PDT 2009

My great grandfather emigrated from Volhynia in about 1896, taking a
ship in May of that year.  I'm not 100% sure where he was living but
my grandmother was born in the village of Michailoska in Kreiz
Zhitomir in 1894.  According to family stories, he was about to be
drafted into an army and so left for America to escape this draft.
I'm curious if Germans were subject to a draft (and what army?) while
living in Volhynia around that time.  Anyone know?