[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans drafted in Russian army

Bloch, Ray rbloch at lataenv.com
Mon May 18 05:55:35 PDT 2009

My grandfather was inducted into the Russian army in 1914 and was in the
front lines fighting against the Germans.  The story related to me by my
uncle was that during lulls in the battles the opposing sides would meet
under a flag of truce.  During these truces, the Germans would try to
entice the Russian Germans to defect and in many instances, this
occurred.  My grandfather didn't cross over because he had met my
grandmother and was engaged to be married.  After this occurred numerous
times, the Russian command took the Russian Germans and sent them to the
Caucuses where my grandfather was then fighting the Turks.  He was
wounded and returned to the Ukraine where he married my grandmother.

In WWII my oldest uncle was inducted into the Red Army in 1940.  When
war broke out they took the ethnic Germans and moved them to logging
camps in Siberia.  He was a metalsmith by trade so his skills were not
needed there and they moved him to the coal mines of the southern Urals
and his family remains there to this day.  The fact that he had a trade
saved his life.

Ray