[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans drafted in Russian army

Greg Mason gmason001 at comcast.net
Mon May 18 08:47:53 PDT 2009

List:  Very interesting topic.  I cannot speak for the Volhynian
Germans, but Germans who lived in Central Poland were subject to
compulsory  Russian military service during the time that Russia ruled
the area.  My wife's grandfather was discharged from the Russian Army
on 13 October 1901 in Nieschawa and was then assigned to the second-
rank militia of the Nieschawa district.  (I assume this was similar to
our national guard.)   He migrated legally to the United States in
1906 so we assume that he had completed his military obligation by
that time.  I do not know how long his service with the Russian Army
was nor do I have any information concerning his rank, duties, etc.
Greg Mason