[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans drafted in Russian army

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Mon May 18 11:59:45 PDT 2009

Jane,

My guess is that the village you note below is really
Michajlowka (Michalowka/Mikhailivka), Zhytomyr, Zhytomyr, Russian Empire
(Ukraine).
If so, that village is a few kilometers west of Zhitomir.

If that is the village, would you mind telling me what family names of
yours are associated with that village, as my family had ties to that
village.

Just to add to the conversation about the Russian Army draft, my
grandfather was drafted into the Russian Army in about 1888.   As the
family story goes, at the end of 5 years, the way it was determined who
got out of the army was by drawing straws.    I  assume that my
grandfather drew the correct straw, as he got out and pretty quickly
left for Canada.

Gary Warner
Gig Harbor, WA