[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] land ownership in Volhynia

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Mon May 18 22:55:01 PDT 2009

Others may have better answers to Gil's question about German and Polish
land ownership than mine, but I'll offer what I can find in a few minutes of
looking.  It's from a book by Theodore Weeks, "Nation and State in Late
Imperial Russia. Nationalism and Russification on the Western Frontier,
1863-1914" (1996).  He confirms (p. 225, n. 26) the 90% figure for 1861 and
cites the archival source for it. It refers to the 3 Southwest Provinces
(Kiev, Podolia and Volhynia).  But this is just before the 1863 Polish
Rebellion.  The Tsarist reaction to this revolt was, among other forms of
repression of Polish culture and dominance in the western provinces, to
confiscate the estates of many rebellious Polish landowners (followed in
some cases by deportation to inner Russia, a practice used on our Germans in
1915) and, in 1865, to issue an edict forbidding the sale of land to Poles,
an edict in force until 1905.  The results were partially effective, but
were not what Russian nationalists desired.  According to a table on p. 87,
Poles still owned 47.9% of the land in Volhynia in 1905 and 48.3% in
Podolia.  If anyone is curious, they held 75% of the land in Kovno Province,
73% in Vilna, 53.6% in Grodno, 49.7% in Minsk, 40.6% in Vitebsk and 33% in
Mogilev. Most of the rest of the land was owned by Russians or Ukrainians.

I am not aware of any full-fledged treatment of German land ownership in
English, except for an attempt I made a few years ago which one can find in
the SGGEE JOURNAL, Sept. and Dec., 1999 and March, 2000.  I merely
summarized the major work of Dietmar Neutatz in his "Die 'deutsche Frage' im
Schwarzmeergebiet und in Wolhynien".  For those who can wait, La Vern
Rippley is currently working on translating this book into English, as I
think I've pointed out before.

Unfortunately, Neutatz's treatment deals only with the laws of land
ownership, not with the realities of day-to-day living.  Michail Kostiuk
gives a little insight into reality in his recent "Die deutschen Kolonien in
Wolhynien" but only a little.  There is a crying need for some motivated
scholar to scour the archives over there to try to piece together from
actual land records the ins and outs of how German farmers coped with the
restrictive laws, and perhaps got around them by fair means or foul, like
buying through a proxy.

My guess, Gil, is that the names of individual landowners could be
discovered, in some cases, by finding documents in the archives relating to
land transactions with your family. I'd guess this would be difficult.  Of
course some village histories are connected to known landowners on whose
estates they were established.

Dick Benert