[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans drafted in Russian army

Beth Burke mackzie at earthlink.net
Tue May 19 07:35:12 PDT 2009

I remember once when my mother referred to her father as a "draft dodger."
That was back when genealogy wasn't one of my interests, much less a
passion.  Knowing that my grandparents paid a Russian soldier to cross a
river at night, which was the start of their immigration journey, and now
hearing from many of you that there were other "dodgers", confirms one
thing.  We all owe a huge debt of gratitude to those "artful dodgers"
because what we have today is thanks to them!  Thanks Oma and Opa....

Beth Burke - Verona, Wisconsin
Researching:  Friedrich, Lieske, Pinkowski, Hammermeister, Glor, Zellmer,
Dietz and a slew of others