[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Chelm Poland

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Sun May 31 13:51:04 PDT 2009

Found this website on Chelm Poland - unfortunately only in Polish - http://gotowka.chelm.pl  that does have a history of the area.

I suspect that my KUKASCH family may have originated or at least lived there at one time.  In the History section there is a list of the Old or original Residents - all are German and some are familiar from other Volhynian research I have done.  So, if you have Chelm area ancestors, you may find some names among them.  A "translation" by Google is sketchy.  Unfortunately there is no info on what happened to these residents after the War. Certainly it mentions that the German colonists were displaced during the WWII - to German territory - presumably after 1939-1940 and it appears were replaced by Ukrainians.

If someone can get a better idea of the Polish text than the Google translation, it would be much appreciated.

Helen Gillespie (nee Kukasch)

Searching: Kukasch, Koenig, Pufahl, Meister, Baier, Bethke, Kelm
Places:  Konstantynow, Friedrichsdorf/Solomka, Borowka, Berestovets,Pinkov/Pempkov all in Wolhynia