[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Village name Widoncka

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 21 13:16:45 PST 2009

I am copying this response to the mailing list so others can see names
you are looking for.  Karen sent me scans of the passenger lists.  I
believe that the recorded village is either Widomka or Widowka.  Though
the m/w is not really clear, the rest of the place name is written that
way on different lists at different times by different hands.

In research of this type, i = y.  The only close match I can find
anywhere is Wydumka in Volhynia.  There are several in Volhynia.
- 24 km SW of Luck (Germans known to have lived here)
- 5 km E of Rowno (Germans not known to have lived here)
- 28 km WNW of Zhitomir (Germans known to have lived here)

Having said that, the Leder surname is not common in Volhynia.  Of the
ten I found:

- one is at Cholosna aka Julianowka, about 6 km E of the last Wydumka
listed above
- one is at Mossiewka, about 8 km SE of the last Wydumka listed above
- two are at Ludmilowka, about 18 km E of the last Wydumka listed above

Though I could find no specific matches to the people listed below, I
think there is enough evidence to conclude that this is the correct
location.

Jerry Frank
Calgary, AB