[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Village name of Pinelwatki, Russia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 29 05:35:25 PST 2009

Geneen,

I looked at the original Ellis Island record and Pinelwatkia is a very
poorly extracted attempt at what is written there.

I believe the place name should be something like P---walki (compare for
example to passenger #13 who is from Suwalki).  The P at the beginning
seems correct given how it is written with some other surnames and in
Pittsburgh but I am not 100% certain.  Given that the loop on the d is
not closed in other words (Adelgunde, Leopold, etc.) I would further
guess at P--dwalki.

I did a search with ShtetlSeeker for all place names in Poland and some
other countries containing "walki" and did not come up with a viable
match.  Poland is the only country with places that have that suffix.
There is a Powalki but it is not in what would have been Russia and the
letters, in my opinion, do not fit.  Perhaps others on the list can give
it a try.

Jerry Frank
Calgary, AB