[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polish parishes and Polish place names

joepessarra joepessarra at suddenlink.net
Sat Oct 10 03:20:43 PDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org
[mailto:ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org] On Behalf Of Dave
Proper
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:44 AM
To: ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org
Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polish parishes and Polish place names

All,
I had never worked with Polish place names until recently when Rose Ingram
sent me a treasure trove of information about my Plotzke relations. I am
entering the data into TMG and was struck by the variety of Polish place
names and the seemingly various ways of recording them. I looked into the
modern Polish place name conventions - gimas, powiat, voivdeship and
country. Armed with that, I have a place named "Dabie, Kolo, Poznan,
Poland". That seems to make sense, like municipality, county, province,
county. But then I find place names recorded in family group sheets such as
"Gorki, (Dabie Parish), Kolo, Poznan, Poland". I understand that Gorki is
obviously in the Dabie Parish and provides another level of information.
Which do people prefer and why?

Another question: are there maps that delineate what the parish boundaries
might have been during various time frames? For example, the birth place of
Friedrich Wilhelm Plotzke on 25 Apr 1849 was Chwalborczyce Holendry. The
record was in the Dabie Parish books but when I found the village
(Chwalborczyce) using ShtelSeeker it was about 5 km southeast of the town of
Dabie and just across the provincial border in Lodz. So now would this be
"Chwalborczyce, (Dabie Parish), ?county-unknown?, Lodz, Poland"?  Which
leads to a further question is there a definitive way to determine which
powiat would be the correct name to use here? The convention seems to be
that they are named after the largest city in the region but that is not
easy to ascertain.

OK, last question, where is the village of Gorki mentioned above - "Gorki,
(Dabie Parish), Kolo, Poznan, Poland"? Enter that in ShtelSeeker and you get
93 potential places in Poland! Is there way to focus ShtelSeeker to a
smaller region than just Poland as a whole?

Thanks for your assistance and patience!
Dave Proper
dproper at charter.net

==========

If you do a search for Kolo, using the pull-down choice of Search method:
"Is Exactly - Town names with this precise spelling", you will get only 6
hits.  One is Kolo, Warthbruecken.  Using its Coordinates of 52°11' N 18°37'
E, do a search for Gorki (Exactly again), using "Show the distance and
direction from the Latitude” choice.

You will get 42 hits.  The closest of them is only 11.8 miles ENE from Kolo.

If you do a similar search for Dabie, you will get 20 hits, the closest
being 11.5 miles SE from Kolo.

I believe that this Gorki is the one you want.  It is maybe a little
convoluted finding method, but it seems to get good results.  You just have
to locate towns using the Latitude method, rather than the Capital City
method.

Good luck.

Joe in Texas