[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polish parishes and Polish place names

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Sat Oct 10 10:20:34 PDT 2009

Dave,

There has been a lot of debate at SGGEE about the proper way to enter
village names. Many are still using the Family History Library method
which uses the provinces that existed in Poland for only a few decades
after World War II. The biggest problem with using that method as I see
it is that you cannot use any modern mapping tool to find the village
noted in that format, since most often the powiat (county has changed).
There are also no precise maps which show those old boundaries, at least
none that I have ever seen.

In the Master Pedigree Database (MPD) I am trying to make the switch to
modern descriptions of locations. It is a slow process, but eventually
we will make that switch complete. As an aid to specifying a village per
the current powiat and wojewodztwo (state), we are using several sources.

They are

1. http://mapa.szukacz.pl
When you open this site, there is a blank field in the upper right
corner of the screen that is labeled Miejscowość. Enter the village you
seek in this location and then hit enter. You will see the map of Poland
redrawn with circles that represent the locations in Poland with
villages of that name. You need to have some idea which is the correct
area of Poland to narrow your search, but you are assisted by hovering
over any circle and seeing the number of people who live in that place
currently, the woj., pow. and gmina (smaller division than a county). If
you click on the dot at the bottom of the window that appears when you
hover, the map will zoom in to a large scale map of that location. You
can adjust the scale by rolling the wheel on a wheel mouse, or by
selecting a different scale by using the radio buttons next to the field
where you enter the village name. Note that the full description of the
village is shown in the area below where you entered the village name.
Finally, you can find the exact coordinates for this village by clicking
on the word współrzędne just below the full village name.

As an example, try entering in the village Nowe Budki (I picked a
village of which there is only one in all of Poland- a rarity). The map
zoomed in shows that this village is a bit northwest of Kolo, and we
would enter the location as

Nowe Budki, Kolo, Wielkopolskie, Poland at coordinates 52 14 25 N 18 33 14 E

Note in the above that we have elected to not use the ski ending for the
Powiat, but have instead used the name of the town for which the powiat
is named- Kolo. The town is always easily identifiable from the powiat
name- IF you have the map zoomed out to see the area around the village
you are locating.

Note that while this map is pretty complete, it does NOT cover every
village in Poland, and you MUST be able to spell the village name
correctly to find it. You do not need to use the special Polish
diacriticals, but as noted for the next map source the z with a dot over
it may give you some problems using this source. If you cannot find a
village that contains a dotted z, copy that letter from the word Pokaż
which is shown in red above where you entered the village name to do the
search.

2. http://mapy.eholiday.pl/

This map source contains some villages that are not included in the map
source noted above, but sadly this is also not a complete listing of all
villages in Poland. Enter the village name you seek in the blue box at
the upper left corner of the screen. Enter the letters SLOWLY, and you
will see a listing of all of the villages that have that name in the
database that runs this map site- be sure to look at villages that are
close in spelling to the one you seek, as some villages are spelled
slightly different on different maps.

Be aware that this site NEEDS at least two special Polish diacriticals
to find the correct village- the dotted z and the slashed L. First try
entering a village without those special characters, but if the special
character is near the beginning of the village name, you will need to
enter those special characters by copying them from the map site noted
in 1. above- the dotted z from the word Pokaż, and the slashed L from
the word współrzędne. Click on the arrow that results from a successful
search and see the fill location name in a baloon, and then click on the
village name in that balloon to go to an enlarged map of that village
location. Note that this map site uses the powiat name without the ski
ending.

3. If neither of the above map tools work, then Shtetl Seeker
(http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/) is still a good tool, but it is
not as visual as the above two, since the results are displayed in a
table instead of as points on a map.

4. Google Earth

Google Earth is sometimes a good way to find a village, since the
database for that tool seems to have both the old and new names for a
given village. You will need to have an idea which powiat the location
is in when Google Earth gives you some choices. Again, this tool does
not have all of the locations in Poland, and sometimes is much more
limited in possibilites than any of the other tools noted above.

As Jerry Frank noted in another email, we plan on having a gazetteer on
the website later this year, and this should help with a large number of
the village locations, but it will also need to be updated as additional
villages are found.

Gary Warner
SGGEE