[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polish parishes

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 11 05:36:31 PDT 2009

Poland was split up between Russia, Prussia, and Austria in the late
1700s.  The majority of German migration into Polish regions took place
shortly after that and on into the 19th century.  We certainly have to
be aware of that change as well but it generally does not have as great
an impact on finding on place of residence as does the numerous changes
to parish and county boundaries.

Volhynia was only split between Poland and Russia for 19 years, 1920
through 1939.  Again we must be aware of this, especially if our
ancestors left the region after WW I.

Jerry Frank
Calgary, AB