[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Place Name Assistance

joepessarra joepessarra at suddenlink.net
Mon Oct 19 10:09:48 PDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org
[mailto:ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org] On Behalf Of gpvjem
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:37 PM
To: Ger-Poland-Volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org
Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Place Name Assistance

    I've exhausted my resources including maps, Google and ShtetlSeeker but
I can't verify the following place names as being correct in all respects.

Bukower Wald - supposedly in Poland
Bragonoff - supposedly in Russia but that could also mean Poland or Ukraine

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

With thanks,
John Marsch

===

ShtetlSeeker has one that is pretty close, sound wise, to Bragonoff.  And it
is in Russia.

Bryukhanov, Bryukharov populated place 46°41' N 41°39' E  E M U G Russia
649.8 miles SSE of Moskva 55°45' N 37°37' E

ShtetlSeeker has the following for Bukowski Las.

Bukowski Las, Kolonia Bukowski Las populated place 51°22' N 23°27' E  E M U
G Poland  121.1 miles ESE of Warszawa 52°15' N 21°0' E

If we do a ShtetSeeker search for Bragonoff, looking for its possible
closeness to Bukowski Las using the coordinates for Bukowski Las, we get the
following closest towns.

Verkhnov, Verkhnuv, Werchnów populated place 50°46' N 24°10' E  E M U G
Ukraine  51.8 miles SE of 51°22' N 23°27' E

Baraki Nowe section of populated place 50°48' N 22°02' E  E M U G Poland
72.8 miles WSW of 51°22' N 23°27' E

Borek Nowy populated place 49°55' N 22°06' E  E M U G Poland  116.3 miles
SSW of 51°22' N 23°27' E

Bryukhanov, the town found in Russia, is quite a ways from Bukowski Las.

Bryukhanov, Bryukharov populated place 46°41' N 41°39' E  E M U G Russia
882.6 miles ESE of 51°22' N 23°27' E

Not a lot of help, but at least a few possibilities.

Where did you get Bragonoff and Bukower Wald?  Just from repeated family
stories, or a document?

Joe in Texas