[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Celagr = Ziegenhagen?

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Thu Sep 17 06:37:50 PDT 2009

Earl,

You might look more closely at the handwriting and see if any of the
following suggestions provide more clarity. I would say there is a
connection between the root of Ziegenhagen or Ziegenhagel (a variation
I've seen in the Lublin records) and the Polish "cegla": both relate to
bricks and brick making.

Ziegel = brick
Ziegler = brick maker
Cegla = brick
Ceglarz = brick maker
Glina = clay

I also found the following on a site which provided information on
village name changes in the Westpreussen area:
http://www.prieske.de/kartenraum/kartenraum-en-neustadt.htm

After the occupation of Poland by the German Reich, the Polish County
"Seekreis" (Sea County = Morski powiat) with its administration in
Gdynia was renamed to "Neustadt i. Westpr." and the administration was
reestablished in the town of Neustadt. [What follows is a list of the
name changes]

Ceynowa: Ziegenhagen, Kr. Neustadt (Westpr.) [this was of specific interest]

Perhaps Dr. Frank Stewner, who has worked with locations in this area,
can offer some more definite comments about the roots of this name change.

Sigrid Pohl Perry
Evanston, IL