[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Celagr = Ziegenhagen?

Earl.Schultz Earl.Schultz at telusplanet.net
Thu Sep 17 09:28:04 PDT 2009

 Thanks for the comments received todate.  To answer your questions and
comment further, the wording is "Ewa z Celagrow Ziegenhagen".  The 'ow'
usually means that it is a maiden name so it is unlikely that this was a
previous married name.  In addition, Ewa is 36, had 4 living children and
one deceased born when she was 24.  She could have been previously married
but it does not appear likely to me.  (All 5 births show the same couple.)

The writing is very clear.  The 'e' could be an 'i' but there is no dot.
The 'r' could be an 'n' but it connects with the 'o' at the top which
implies an 'r' to me.  I thought that reversing the 'l' and the 'g' would
give a closer sound to 'ziegen'.  So it could be that the pastor made a
spelling mistake.

Ziegen = goat in German but I still find no connection to Celagr.

Sigrid, I don't fully understand your "Ceynowa: Ziegenhagen, Kr. Neustadt
(Westpr.) [this was of specific interest]" but this is likely a big part of
the puzzle.  You see, there are two possible Ewa's married to a Jan
Buchholtz.  The Ewa Ziegenhagen matches Ewa Celagr because the children,
village and ages match (in addition to the husband).  I rejected the second
Ewa because she was married in 1832 and that was not enough time to have 4
children but her village and age are also right.  However, her maiden name
is Ceinrowa.  Does your comment above mean that Ceynowa=Ceinrowa=Ziegenhagen
in which case these two Ewa's would be the same and my Ewa Celagr would then
have 4 children but only got married in 1832 which means that the children
are from a previous marriage but her previous husband would have had to have
had the same name.  Talk about strange.

So, what is the significance of Ceynowa: Ziegenhagen?  This puzzle is really
interesting for me.

Earl

Message: 1