[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ziegenhagen in Neustadt

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Thu Sep 17 11:32:39 PDT 2009

Earl,

Re: this part of your last comment:
Sigrid, I don't fully understand your "Ceynowa: Ziegenhagen, Kr. Neustadt
(Westpr.) [this was of specific interest]" but this is likely a big part
of the puzzle.

Here is the website where that information was given in which the
Germans renamed the village of Ceynowa as Ziegenhagen:
http://www.prieske.de/kartenraum/kartenraum-en-neustadt.htm

Often the renaming of villages relates to something about the meaning of
the name.
I realized that Ziegen = goat in German, but preferred to suggest a
connection to Ziegeln (bricks) instead because of the similarity to the
Polish word for brick (cegla) and your surname (Celagrow). Of course,
there might not be any relationship at all. But the name Ziegenhagen (or
Ziegenhagel) is not very common, so the naming of the village was
interesting.

If the surnames given are her maiden name and married name, then of
course, there might not be any relationship.

Sigrid Pohl Perry