[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Celagr = Ziegenhagen?

Earl.Schultz Earl.Schultz at telusplanet.net
Fri Sep 18 08:44:03 PDT 2009

 I think we can reach some conclusions on the three names Ceinrowa, Celagr
and Ziegenhagen.  I have gone back to the records and double checked them.

a) Ceinrowa and Ziegenhagen are the same name.  We have the town of Ceinowa
that was changed to Ziegenhagen as shown in the website Sigrid Pohl Perry
provided.  I went back to the 1832 marriage of Ewa Ceinrowa to Jan Buchholtz
in Michalki.  Her parents were Jan Cynraim (note spelling) and Anna Teys.
Checking on the parents, I found an identical couple called Jan Ziegenhagen
and Anna Teize.  The coincidences are too much to ignore.  The 2nd case of
this name or variation becoming Ziegenhagen, is proof for me.  Incidentally
this couple Ewa Ceinrowa and Jan Buchholtz cannot be the same couple as Ewa
Celagr and Jan Buchholtz because the first couple were both single when they
married in 1832 whereas the 2nd couple had 5 children by 1834.
b) The couple Ewa Celagr + Jan Buchholtz is the same couple as Ewa
Ziegenhagen and Jan Buchholtz.  Everything matches including 4 children and
the order of the children's names in the 1834 death record matches their
birth order.  Too many coincidences again.  Therefore Celagr = Ziegenhagen.
c) Probably Celagr(owa) = Ceinrowa although I am not sure whether this was a
spelling error by the pastor or a variation of the name.

One person brought to my attention that Ziegen+hagen = goat+hedge.  So the
literal meaning is goat hedge.  Cela is the Polish word for cell and
probably the English word for cell is derived from it.  The question then
is: Is Cela a type of enclosure or cell that could also be similar to a goat
hedge?

The proof in these records and the website provided by Sigrid, leads me to
conclude that Ceinrowa and Celagr are used as equivalent to Ziegenhagen.

Gary, is this proof enough to add these to your substantiated surname list?

Earl

Message: 2