[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans Migrating to Volynia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 18 09:09:43 PDT 2010

In the March 2003 Journal, you will find an article by Albert Breyer about the German migration from Gostynin region to Volhynia which provides some of the detail.

Briefly:  Catherine the Great died in 1796.  Though there were a few Germans scattered about in Volhynia at that time, there was no organized migration until c.1816.  In the early 1830s, another migration took place as a result of a Polish rebellion in Russian Poland.  By 1850 or so, there were still only 4-5000 Germans in Volhynia.  The main migration occurred during the second Polish rebellion of the early 1860s so that by 1900 there were approximately 200,000 Germans in Volhynia.

Neither Catherine nor her successors created any special rules, invitations, or other incentives for Germans to move to Volhynia.

Jerry Frank