[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Reich family from Blijniye Melnitsy

George Shoning shoning at q.com
Sun Apr 18 12:08:58 PDT 2010

Obviously, the name is someone's transliteration of a Russian name.  This may be totally irrelevant, but be aware that the Russian блинная (blinaja) means pancakes with sweet filling, блин (blin from which we get blini) means a small buckwheat pancake served with sour cream, and блинчик (blinchik) a typical pancake.  The Russian мельница (melnitsa) means mill.  So the place may have been known for its flour (or buckwheat) mill.

George Shoning