[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans Migrating to Volynia

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sun Apr 18 18:32:11 PDT 2010

On Apr 18, 2010, at 7:36 PM, joepessarra wrote:

> " 1861: Tsar Alexander II granted freedom to serfs, the peasants who
> worked
> for large farms. As a result, some of the nobility started selling
> land, and
> a large-scale migration of Germans into the area took place.”
>
> Joe in Texas

One must be specific in differentiating between the term "serf" and
"peasant."
Only the serfs could be given their freedom.
A serf was part of a system of slavery. The term serf is derived from
the Latin "Servus."
A serf was a modified slave under the old Feudal System that grew out
of  agricultural slavery in the late Roman Empire and spread through
Europe during the 900's ce. Serfs, under law, were classified as
"chattel", i.e. cattle, and could be sold or loans obtained on them.
Manors formed the basic unit of society at the time and serfs were
owned by the nobility. A serf's personal property would revert to the
Manor upon death. A noble was responsible for the feeding, health and
protection of his serfs. Many nobles lacked what we may consider
nobility.

Feudal had a stronghold in Central and Eastern Europe.

In the census of 1857, 23.1 million serfs existed in Russia.
The Russians liked Alexander ll. Need we ask why?

Peasants were free people but poor, yet independent. They could sell
day labor or needed to rent land from a noble and often times
supplement it with free labor. When crops failed they were on their
own. When feudalism ended and nobles had to free their serfs, they had
to then hire a labor force or rent or sell their land (they in turn
were vassals of the royalty).  Many peasants whose only choice had
been to rent could now choose to buy their own little acre. Peasants
could begin cottage industries or become landless craftsmen
specializing in a trade... the little shoemaker or carpenter for
example.

The two classes are often spoken of disparagingly yet if one was not
of the nobility or royalty. . . what remains. . .?

At times the peasants would find survival more difficult than the
serfs did because they were on their own under the big sky.
Jokingly I liken serfs and peasants to todays standards of corporate
employees with percs versus self-employment with feast or famine on
ones plate.

. . .   Otto
          " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 01, 2010-
                   "Satisfaction . . . lurks in the answers."