[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans Migrating to Volynia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 20 07:19:26 PDT 2010

Thanks for the additional clarification, Richard.

I have seen Catherine being given credit for migration of Germans to Prussia and to Galicia, regions that have never been under Russian control.  I'm not sure why the myth is so often misapplied.  I suspect there may be two reasons.

1.  Though Catherine's Manifesto (invitation to settlement) was simply a historical political action applied to all Europeans (not just Germans), the Germans for whom it does apply seem to take exceptional pride in this connection to royalty by their ancestors.  Without taking the time to understand the full historical context of German migration into Russia, they assume that the Manifesto applies to everyone.  When they come in contact with other Germans from Russia, they relate this history to the newcomer who in turn accepts it as fact.

2.  Many newer genealogists do not take the time to fully understand the historical and geographical contexts of their ancestral migrations.  They may assume, for example, that their Irish ancestor came to North America because of the potato famine without actually confirming that the date of the migration corresponds with the time of the famine.  Just as some people quickly accept a variety of urban myths spread on the Internet, some genealogists accept historical comments given to them without exploring their voracity.

People who do this are not "bad" genealogists.  I too gave credence to the Catherine story for Volhynians until I discovered that she had died long before the German migration to Volhynia took place.  These genealogists must simply take the time to understand that genealogy is more than dates and places and that they should take some time to explore the true historical and geographical context of their ancestral migrations.  I'm glad to be of help in the teaching process.

Jerry