[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Migration to Volhynia

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Thu Apr 22 07:13:32 PDT 2010

    Lloyd:
        Shortly after the Marsch family moved from Dabie Poland to the area around Kostopol Volhynia, my paternal grandfather returned to Poland shortly thereafter as he put it, "to fulfill his military duty" in the Russian army .  After serving as a supply officer and paymaster for 5 1/2 years, he returned to Volhynia to resume his civilian life early in the 1880s.
         There was no policy of military exemption in place for Germans in Poland or Volhynia.  There are many notations in German church records in Poland and many more accounts from Volhynia mentioning husbands who were absent because of military service.  During the Japanese/Russian conflict in 1904 -05, my G-Grandfather in Volhynia eloquently wrote to Canada of the considerable hardship families were experiencing because the men of were being drafted into the Russian army.

John Marsch

  This latest discussion of the German Migration to Volhynia has been very informative to me. I enjoy it.

  There is another line of myths that have been mentioned at various times,   I would appreciate commentary.

  This is the story that many of these new immigrants had been promised that they could retain their culture and religious affiliation.
  Also, that they were not subject to serve in the Russian military.

  I suspect that these promises were not an official policy but misconceptions handed down to us by our forbearers as hearsay.

  I await

  lloyd friedrick on Vancouver Island