[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German migration to Poland?

PnSWork at aol.com PnSWork at aol.com
Thu Apr 22 12:53:12 PDT 2010

Jerry's article is a very good high-level overview of the different
migrations which took place.

With respect to the German settlement in Poland, I can add a little  more
detail.

The majority of the German settlement of Poland took place in two phases,
each following one of the Polish Partitions that Jerry refers  to.

After the first Polish partition, Frederick the Great also instituted an
immigration program to enhance the economy and some say to "germanify" the
new  territory.  The Prussian authorities sent recruiters throughout the
German  regions, encouraging people to emigrate.  The Prussian program was
generous, giving free land, building materials, a per diem for every man, woman
and child (varying amounts for each), and a travel allowance that was based
on  how far they had to travel.  You could say that the Prussian recruiters
were in competition with the ones that Catherine the Great sent out.  This
first migration started around 1779 and peaked around 1782.  The settlement
 area was largely the area around Poznan (German: Posen), Pomerania and
West  Prussia.

The second major migration occurred between 1795 (the year of the third
Polish Partition) and 1806.  The son of Frederick the Great re-opened the
emigration programs of his father in order to found colonies in the new
territories further East.  After Napoleon defeated the Prussians in 1806,  he set
up a short-lived Duchy of Warsaw under Polish control.  This lasted  until
1815 when the Russians assumed control over most of the area.

Some migration continued after 1806, but it was greatly reduced from the
earlier levels.  The Polish authorities allowed immigration, but  did not
offer all the incentives that the Prussian program had.

The Prussian archives in Berlin still have many of the original documents
from these two migrations, and the Polish archives in Warsaw have many
original  documents from the founding of the settlements.  I have copies of some
documents showing how much my ancestors were paid for their travel to
Poland,  and other documents showing how much land they were given when they
arrived.

Good luck in your research!

    -Paul