[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Migration to Volhynia

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Thu Apr 22 14:34:41 PDT 2010

I read something not long ago that pertains to these "promises" made by
Catherine and confirmed by Alex. I.  It seems that Russian tsars made their
promises in the form of granting PRIVILEGES, not contracts.  A contract by
definition binds both parties, and an autocratic tsar simply cannot be bound
by anyone but God.  So it's not likely, from this perspective, that
Catherine or Alexander or any other tsar would have considered themselves
bound to keep the "promises" to the Germans forever.  A privilege extended
can be a privilege withdrawn.  In addition, there is the question of whether
the idea of a "contract" had any place in Russian law.  I cannot say that it
didn't, but plenty of Russians (especially Slavophiles) objected to
contracts as destructive foreign imports from the wicked West.

Dick B.