[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Dornkinke ?

joepessarra joepessarra at suddenlink.net
Tue Apr 27 17:14:16 PDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org
[mailto:ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org] On Behalf Of
Krampetz at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:35 PM
To: ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org
Subject: Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Dornkinke ?

I found the Ellis Island manifest for my cousin's other  grandmother.
 She had a German name of Kretschmann,  born in 1871 and had  listed
  the village of "Dornkinke" as her home.  (the  handwriting Could be
"Domkinke")
  Nationality is listed as "Russia",   her  ethnicity listed as "German".

  My cousin always thought she was from Germany,  but like our  other common
  grandparents that also claimed to be from Germany - we learned they  were
  born in Russian controlled Poland,  near Lipno also  in the 1800's.

  I've given up trying to understand why they claimed  different  countries
of
  birth once they got here,  but I'd like to confirm if my  cousin's
Kretschmann,
  of ethnicity "Russia, German"  meant she too was from  Russian controlled
  Poland..      Where was (or still is) the  place of "Dornkinke" ??

Thanks
Bob K.

Believe the town name is "Dombinke" or "Dombinka".

Searching for Dombinke in Eastern Europe at ShtetlSeeker at
http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp finds Dembyanka, Koloniya
Dembyanka populated place 49°42' N 23°48' E  E M U G Ukraine  301.9 miles W
of Kyyiv 50°26' N 30°31' E

This might be your town.

I assume that the record is for Wilhelmine Kretschmann, Feb 05, 1906.  You
did not give complete info in your posting.

Good luck,

Joe in Texas