[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Dornkinke ?

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Wed Apr 28 00:45:05 PDT 2010

joepessarra schrieb:
> Bob K. schrieb:
>
> I found the Ellis Island manifest for my cousin's other  grandmother.
>  She had a German name of Kretschmann,  born in 1871 and had  listed
>   the village of "Dornkinke" as her home.  (the  handwriting Could be
> "Domkinke")
>   Nationality is listed as "Russia",   her  ethnicity listed as "German".

> Believe the town name is "Dombinke" or "Dombinka".
>
> Searching for Dombinke in Eastern Europe at ShtetlSeeker at
> http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp finds Dembyanka, Koloniya
> Dembyanka populated place 49°42' N 23°48' E  E M U G Ukraine  301.9 miles W
> of Kyyiv 50°26' N 30°31' E
>
> This might be your town.
>
> I assume that the record is for Wilhelmine Kretschmann, Feb 05, 1906.  You
> did not give complete info in your posting.

Hello Bob & Joe,
no way southwest of Lemberg [Lwiw]. This region was part of the kingdom
of Galicia, Austria at that time, not of the Russian empire!
There was another Dębinka [pronounced Dombinka, = little oak wood] which
belonged to the Skurcze catholic parish, Łuck decanate - but probably
there have been much more little oak woods in Volhynia. ;-)

Günther