[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Village name

George Shoning shoning at q.com
Thu Apr 29 13:23:58 PDT 2010

Barb,

You wrote:

> The individuals that fled would've registered along the way with the

> Red Cross? And families were reunited following the war through the

> Red Cross? How did they do that?  How did they know where to go

> to register? Where could I find the information they registered?

My mother and relatives went through this process; I was just about eleven.  The Red Cross was very active in reuniting families.  Much of the information about the process was by word-of-mouth among displaced persons.  Anyone who wanted to find a relative filed an application with the Red Cross in Germany.  The Red Cross matched applications and notified the applicants of the addresses of the sought person or persons.  Needless to say, this was all done manually (no computers) and in some cases took rather long.  My mother was able to locate her mother, brother, and sister-in-law through this process.

I do not know if or where the applications submitted to the Red Cross were saved.

George Shoning