[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Schmidt location?

spaghettitree at aol.com spaghettitree at aol.com
Thu Jan 21 06:18:04 PST 2010

I think the "born Schmidt" indicates that Dorothea Strefling was born as
Dorothea Schmidt, her maiden name, in this context.

Tried to send this 2 hours ago, but the storms apparently prevented access
- AOL never tells you why.

Maureen

In a message dated 1/21/2010 2:13:33 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
kopetzke at gmx.net writes:

>  Looking at other entries in the file, the "born Schmidt" would mean
>  that she was born in a place named "Schmidt" in 1823. So where would
>  that be? There is no place by that name in the Volhynia Gazetteer -
>  does anyone have any idea where it might be referring  to?

Dave,
The truth is in the actual church records. They can be  viewed online
through the Pilot Project of  familysearch.org

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/#start

Click  on "Browse our record collection", then click on Europe on the
map, then  on "Russia Lutheran Church Book Duplicates", then scroll down
to Volyn  --> Zhitomir --> Shitomir: Shitomir --> 1867: Births,
marriages,  deaths (828-14/151) --> View 48 Images --> Image 38 of 48

There  you'll find the following:

gestorben (died): 1867, 26 Juny, 2 Uhr  morgens (a.m.)

begraben (buried): 28 Juny nachmittags (in the  afternoon)

Dorothea Strefling, geb. (born) Schmidt, Ehefrau des  Kolonisten (spouse
of colonist) Michael Strefling

aus Polen (born  in Poland)

44 Jahre (44 years old)

Todesursache: Wassersucht  (cause of death: dropsy)

beerdigt auf dem luth. Kirchhofe zu  Friedensdorf von Kirchenschullehrer
Heinrich Behrend (burial in the  Lutheran Cemetery of Friedensdorf by
Heinrich Behrend, schoolteacher [of  the church])

--
Irene  König