[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Bureau of Aryan Records; Pischle, Schmuland records in 'Odessa files' online

Nancy Gertner nancygertner at mac.com
Fri Jan 22 08:36:20 PST 2010

Don:

IF the 'Aryan Records' information was requested during WWII era,
it's possible you may find it in the 'EWZ Records.'

This is a microfilm collection held at the U.S. National Archives
annex in College Park Maryland.

The EWZ records are written in German.

When I visited the annex a few years ago, I was able to find some
records searching on my surnames.

After you find the name, you'll get the EWZ number, which is like:
912  318

They you look at a different microfilm, and find that EWZ record for
the papers on the applicant, which may include a photo about the size
of a current driver's license photo.

The papers can show the applicant's birthdate, spouse, children,
parents, grandparents.

The page labeled "Feststellung der Deutschstaemmigkeit" is the one
that includes the grandparents.

Some of the boxes on this family tree page may be blank if the
applicant did not know the names of all the ancestors of their spouse
and self.

With Facebook as a tool, I have recently made contact with cousins in
Germany descended from the siblings of my immigrant ancestor's 'left
behind' relatives.
- - - -

The birth information of your ancestors may be in some records if the
events were 1885 or earlier.

Have you tried looking in the 'Odessa Files?'

at this website:

http://www.odessa3.org/search.html

using the surnames as Query String

and select 'St. Petersburg' as Data Category.

(These are Lutheran Church records.)

There are some Schmuland birth records I find when using that
criteria, but not with the parents you cite.

You may need to use wild cards in the search to check alternate
spellings.

When I use Pischle for the query string, this is the only 'hit' I get:

For the query, pischle, of category St. Petersburg

File:  1,409,969  Volhynian Births, 1870-75 (M. Momose)

Schmuland, Emilie                        24 Dec 1868
Gruenthal                 Gottfried                  Pischle ,
Justine                 1884113/1 163    4

So you may need to use wild card searches here too; or perhaps the
birth occurred outside the years covered by the data base.  (I think
this is a record of a christening that occurred during years 1870-75,
and the child was apparently born in 1868.)

Using Stebner, Heinrich, as the query string yields this search result:

For the query, stebner, heinrich, of category St. Petersburg

File:  535,164  Volhynian Marriages, 1880-85 (M. Momose)

Stebner, Heinrich                25 Jan 1882 Heimtal Parish
Schnneland, Juliane                  1897596/1 974   14

[this indicates the person that did the record transcription, M.
Momose, interpreted the name as SchNNEland instead of Schmuland.]
1882 as year of marriage indicates the bride and groom were probably
born before 1870.

IF you go and view the microfilm of this marriage record at you LDS
Family History Center, you may find it contains additional info, like
the names of parents, and birthplace of the groom and bride.

It's also possible that the families were not living in Volhynia at
the times of the births of Heinrich and Juliane.  Emilie may have
been the youngest child and the only one christened in Volhynia.

Nancy in Minnesota