[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] History of town called STREU on the island of Rugen, Germany

joepessarra joepessarra at suddenlink.net
Fri Jan 29 11:58:07 PST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org
[mailto:ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org] On Behalf Of
jacqueline beckerle
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 11:12 AM
To: ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org
Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] History of town called STREU on the island of
Rugen, Germany

I am seeking information on a town called Streu on the island of
Rugen, Germany.  The family name I am researching is Streu and am
curious if there might be a connection?  It is located on the fringe
of Germany, close to Poland, so I thought maybe our organization would
cover it.  Could some one give me guidance in where to look?  Thank
you in advance.

Jackie Beckerle

There are two Streu towns in Germany.

1.Streu, Bergen auf Rügen
2.Streu, Schaprode

The first one, as you note, is on the island of Rügen.

The second one is about 20 km (12 miles) northwest of the first one.

You can use Multimap at http://www.multimap.com/  to locate the two towns.

Germany telephone directory at http://www2.dastelefonbuch.de/  has some 168
entries for Streu; 117 residential, and 51 business.

Streu, Bergen auf Rügen has the postal code of 18528.  Streu, Schaprode has
the postal code of 18569.  None of the phone entries has the same postal
code, and there are none in the 185XX codes, but there are some in 18XXX, as
well as 17XXX and 19XXX, or nearby towns.

There are 6 listings in Rostock, 18XXX codes, which is only about 100 km (60
miles) from Bergen auf Rügen.  I did not check all of the listings, but
there could be some that are closer to the island.  You might check these
out.

Letters to some of these people might get you some more information about
your surname.

Could not find any historical info to help you on matching the surname with
the town.

Good luck.

Joe in Texas