[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] StPete records

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Sat Jul 3 09:09:40 PDT 2010

Margaret,

The only things that you cannot see at the present time, because they
have been temporarily removed by the Famimly History Library, are the
actual images of the St. Petersburg birth, marriage and death records.

You can continue to see the database of the names on those images as you
note below, or you can see them (and a lot of additional records that
SGGEE has added) at each of the pages noted here

http://sggee.org/research/StPeteBirth.html

http://sggee.org/research/StPeteMarriage.html

http://sggee.org/research/StPeteDeath.html

I am not sure what you mean when you say when you say that you do not
like the "new way to go through them", but if you are saying that you do
not like the links above, then perhaps you are adding too much in the
search criteria to do searches.

Anyone who does a search needs to enter as few parameters as possible
when doing a search.   If you fill in every box when you do a search,
you very likely will get no results.   If you are looking for a surname,
say "Schmidt", and enter something like "sch" in the surname search box,
then you will get way too many returns to deal with.    If you instead
enter more letters, say "schm", "schmi", or "schmid", you will get
progressively fewer returns on your search.   The trick to doing any
search is to understand that the name may be spelled in the actual
records, or by the person doing the extraction, in a much different way
than you think it should be spelled.   The above searches will not yield
a completely different version of Schmidt- something like "Szmidt", so
you will have to enter in different spellings to get other results.
Perhaps a search for "midt" or "mit" will find your data if Schmidt is
the name you seek.

Sometimes the search criteria you enter will not find the record you
seek because you cannot guess the spelling that is in the database.   In
that case, you  may need to drop the surname entirely and search for
something like all children of any surname born to parents with the
given names you know to be the parents.   Note also that the search
criteria for births and deaths is currently under revision, and we hope
to have in a few days the ability to search for the mother's maiden name.

Remember the advice that less search criteria means more search results.

Gary Warner
SGGEE Databases Manager