[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Military ranks .. pre 1917

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Wed Jul 14 02:04:58 PDT 2010

Elmer schrieb:
> Hello
>
> Several of my Grenke ancestors served in the Czar'a army . Is there a way that i could determine what their rank was.
> I some how think that ethnis Germans would be given a commissioned officers rank . Also , would it be possible to determine what corps they were in ie , infantry , artillery or service type of corps
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated
>
> Elmer Grenke

Hello Elmer,
I don't think so - except ethnic German nobles from the Baltic
governments who served as officers, generals and officials of the
imperial administration (think of admiral Adam Johann von KRUSENSTERN,
the generals Alexander and Konstantin von BENCKENDORFF, Russian prime
minister Sergej Jul'evich Graf WITTE, foreign minister Robert Graf
NESSELRODE and minister of justice Konstantin Graf PAHLEN). The Germans
from Volhynia were more likely considered as unreliable fellows and had
to serve as humble recruits in remote areas.

Günther