[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Nass and Krebs families

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 25 19:14:10 PDT 2010

Responding to some of your questions.

1.  The leases were similar to what we know as a 99 year lease but I cannot say if there was a 99 year time frame on it.  And certainly the conditions would have been different.

2.  As a new member you haven't yet seen our 10+ years of Journals which contain articles and stories that will help you understand the conditions in which the Volhynian Germans lived.

3.  One son may have applied pre1900 but I think by this time there was probably general conscription.  Certainly there could have been fear of a recall to service regardless of the reason.  The Russian war with Japan was going on at this time and many Volhynian Germans served there.  Manchuria would be on the route there so it is certainly plausible.  Whether or not he met Americans there - well???  I must say that Iowa is a particularly unusual choice for Volhynian Germans, the majority of whom seem to have settled in the Canadian prairies, SW Michigan, and parts of Wisconsin.

4.  There are numerous stories about leaving and/or escaping from Volhynia.  For many, it was a normal migration experience - by horse and wagon to the nearest rail link, rail to Libau on the Baltic coast, ship to Bremen, Hamburg or other port, ship to England, across England by rail to Liverpool, and then to either Canadian or US ports.  Seems yours may have been a little different, departing from Antwerp.  Others made there way overland to Warsaw and then rail to Hamburg.  Note that even a normal migration might have been handled by an agent.

For others, it was an "escape" but the general routes would have been similar.  It is difficult to determine the veracity of the escape stories.  Some were certainly at least embellished.  Others may have exaggerated the danger they were in.

Jerry Frank