[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Lutheran Church records after 1885 were in Russian Cyrillic, unsure of transcribing status

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 8 06:33:46 PST 2010

Filming of the St. Petersburg records after 1885 stopped primarily
because of the 100 year rule.  For the past 10 years or so, the St.
Petersburg Archive has been closed for "renovations".  We don't know
when it will reopen nor when access to the records will be restored.  We
also don't know if or when the LDS will resume filming of more recent
records known to exist.

It appears that Gwen's project was never completed.  She was using
teenagers at detention facility to do the transcription.  These kids
were trained to do it but had no language experience.  Even though it
was being triple checked, I was never convinced that the project was viable.

A full list of available Volhynian records is provided at
http://www.sggee.org/research/parishes/church_parishes/LutheransInVolhyniaKievPodolia.html

All original St. Pete films for Volhynia, Podolia, and Kiev have been
extracted and are included in our databases.  As well, those known
parish records are being worked on by several volunteers and portions of
them are now included.  Watch for a new description of content that will
appear on our pages within about a month or so.

Except for the Rozysczcze parish records and a few scattered Kantorate
records, research post 1885 is at best difficult if not impossible.

Jerry Frank
Calgary, AB