[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Weber from Kamionka Russia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun May 9 08:46:27 PDT 2010

Unfortunately Sandy, you have tantalizing bits of information but not enough for even experienced folk to help a lot.  Would be great if you found another family member on this list who had more info but that does not appear to be the case.

There are two Wilhelm Weber families in Volhynia who are having children in the 1870s - 1880s but none with names that fit yours.  There are numerous Weber, Guse, and Busse families in Volhynia but, based on available church records, none living in Kamionka.

If we limit our search for Kamionka to known German villages in Volhynia, we find two of them, both in the north to northeast region of the city of Rowno.  One is about 8 km west of Stepan, about 60 km north of Rowno.  The other is about 18 km NE of Tutschin, 42 km NE of Rowno.  Both show Kamenka as alternate spellings.  Another possible alternate spelling is Kamianka.

The former does not appear on modern maps but 1930s era maps show it just west of Mielniza which is on modern maps.  Local residents would probably be aware of it.

The latter will be more difficult to find.  It appears on 1930s era maps but the location is on the eastern side of what became a Soviet era military base.  It not only no longer exists but access may be difficult if not impossible.  It is located a short distance SW of Hruszowka which does appear on GOOGLE Maps.

You may need a good local guide to help you find either of these locations.

It should be noted that other Kamionka or variations could exist but with current available information, they did not have German residents.  For example, there is a Kamianka located 16 km NE of Kostopol, not far from Berezno.

Jerry Frank
Calgary, AB